Prior to any plan submittals to StreetsLA, applicants must first apply for the appropriate permits through the Bureau of Engineering. StreetsLA will accept a landscape submittal for review when the applicant provides permit application documentation in addition to the design plans.
Within the spectrum of Right-of-Way (ROW) improvements, StreetsLA is responsible for the
review and approval of planting and irrigation in the public ROW, including landscaped medians
A parkway is defined as the area of the street between the back of the curb and the sidewalk.
A median is an island in the middle of a street that typically separates opposing directions of traffic.
Both parkways and medians are typically planted or landscaped with common elements including trees, shrubs/groundcover and equipped with automatic irrigation.
Anyone wishing to perform landscape improvements within the City’s public ROW must comply with the City’s landscape and irrigation policies, standards, and the requirements necessary to promote safe and resilient landscape design.
See below for StreetsLA references that include technical information to support the aforementioned policies and requirements:
- Parkway Landscaping Guidelines (PLG) provide a comprehensive overview of the StreetsLA landscape requirements and permit application and review process
The PLG lays out the steps for landscape permit review, depending on the type of improvement (residential or non-residential) and the size of the associated development. Understanding the PLG is the first step in determining whether a ROW landscape improvement will require a permit and what type or not.
- Landscape Submittal Requirements and Checklist provides a useful organizational tool to guide applicants towards a complete submittal and prompt review
- Tree Spacing Guidelines provide typical tree setbacks from street infrastructure and above ground utilities
- Irrigation in the Public ROW provides material and equipment specifications required when installing automatic irrigation in the ROW
- Tree Planting Standard Plans provide the minimum requirements for tree installations in the ROW and are as follows:
Prior to any plan submittals to StreetsLA, applicants must first apply for the appropriate permits through the Bureau of Engineering. StreetsLA will accept a landscape submittal for review when the applicant provides permit application documentation in addition to the design plans. Plan submittal should include the following information:
- Title sheet
- ROW planting plan
- ROW irrigation plan
- Planting and irrigation detail sheet(s)
- Associated landscape notes sheet(s)
- Civil street plans (optional, for reference)
- Landscape Submittal Requirements and Checklist (Included in 1st submittal)
Any questions or comments should be emailed to email@example.com.